Looking back over some of my posts this year made me think of all the things I, and I think other food lovers, would like to receive for Christmas. Here are a few of my favourite things. Most of these suggestions are to be found in London but for those of you living elsewhere, they might give you some ideas.
- A ceramic coffee filter holder and papers, and don't forget some coffee from Monmouth Coffee c£15.
- A Jesus Salami from The Ham & Cheese Company at 1 Ropewalk, London SE1 (open 22, 23 & 24 December) £24.
- A 100g tin of Nardin Smoked Anchovies from Brindisa at Borough Market £6.25.
- A jar of Romanengo Rose Petal Jam (new stock on 21 Dec) from La Fromagerie £11.40.
- Wooden-handled Nutcracker from Labour & Wait, 85 Redchurch Street E2 £9.50.
- A box of Classic Chocolate Brownies from Paul A Young - shops in Soho, Islington and the City - £3.75 each.
- A burr grinder for coffee beans - manual from Prufrock Coffee, Leather Lane EC1 c£40; electric (Krups) from John Lewis £40.
- A bottle of "Sassoscuro" Emilia Rosso (a perfect accompaniment to roast goose) from Gergovie Wines at 40 Maltby Street £22.
- 'A Late Dinner - Discovering the food of Spain' by Paul Richardson, from Daunt Books £7.99.
- A jar of Pains et gourmandises Crème de caramel au beurre salé Real France at Borough Market £6.
- A side of Smoked Salmon from Hansen & Lydersen at the Bermondsey Railway Arches (you can buy less) £70.
- A crate of beer from The Kernel Brewery at 1 Ropewalk, Bermondsey SE1 and many stockists (open 22, 23 & 24 Dec) c£30.
- A tin of Peter's Yard Scandinavian Crackers from the John Lewis Food Hall, Oxford Street (and on-line - last orders 21 Dec) £7.75-11.25.
- A 'Kitchen Aid' Mixer from John Lewis, and other stores, c£400 - maybe wait for the sales?
- A quarter of Stichelton and 3 packs of oatcakes from Neal's Yard Dairy £42.50.
- An Ulcigrai Panettone from Leila's on Calvert Avenue or at Arch 104 Druid, Bermondsey SE1 (open 22, 23 & 24 Dec) or from Monmouth Coffee £16.00.
- A box of preserved Elvas Apricots from Rainha Santa at Borough Market c£12.
- A Stollen from Sally Clarke on Kensington Church Street £11.75.
- A pure linen teatowel designed by Lucienne Day from TwentyTwentyOne in Islington £16.50.
- A Vacherin Mont d'Or from The Borough Cheese Company at Borough Market and at the Bermondsey railway arches 55 Stanworth Street SE1 from £10.00.
- A voucher for a course at The School of Artisan Food from £25
Happy Christmas Shopping