Friday 15 February 2013

Anna Koska - Food illustration comes alive

Crocus
by Anna Koska

I have a love-hate relationship with social media.  I hate it for robbing me of time, but love it for the chance meetings which enrich my life.  This post is about one of those serendipitous moments when you're glad you took the time to look.

A visit to my butcher led to a meeting with his supplier of top quality condiments and seasonings, which led to an illustration of a freshly pulled red onion.  Proof that one good thing leads to another.  Every part of the illustration was brilliantly observed, from the yellow/orange/pink/red/purple hues of the bulb to the papery skin and traces of soil clinging to its fine roots. This was the entrancing calling card, left a few minutes earlier, by Anna Koska.

I had to see more of this.  Back home I browsed the website and was blown away.  Illustrator Anna is entirely self-taught.  Her illustrations put life onto the canvas.  A luscious purple fig drips juice enticingly.  You imagine a shimmering Mackerel could, with one swish of its tail, swim out of the picture.

Arriving home yesterday I gathered up the usual handful of junk mail and bills from the doormat.  Snuggled amongst them was a surprise.  A small envelope addressed in an elegant hand.  The contents are reproduced above and I'm thrilled to have my very own, original, Anna Koska illustration.

I plan to bring you more of Anna, but in the meantime, I hope I've inspired you to look for yourself at
Anna Koska Illustration